Follow these simple tips twice a year to extend the life of your roof and protect it from water damage:
- Clean up all debris on your roof. Dirt can settle behind vents, chimneys, skylights, and any other roof penetration.
- The dirt retains water which can lead to deterioration of flashing and shingles.
- Clean all gutters of leaves and other debris and unplug downspouts if they are not draining properly.
- Cut back any tree branches that extend over the roof.
- Repair any rust spots on metal valleys using a wire brush and metal paint.
- Don’t rake or sweep your shingles. This will cause granules to loosen and fall away.